Medicaid may warn recipients of possible loss of coverage

Roughly, 650,000 Medicaid recipients soon could receive letters informing them they may lose coverage July 1 if no agreement is reached on Medicaid reauthorization and funding.

With no resolution of the stalemate that has left the Division of Medicaid without reauthorization by the state Legislature and unfunded for the 2014 fiscal year, which begins July 1, a federal requirement mandates participants be informed of the possible loss of services.

“I think it’s required 30 or 45 days before the July 1 deadline,” longtime state Rep. Bobby Moak said last week of recipients being notified.

State Attorney General Jim Hood said a 2004 federal court opinion mandates that proper notice be given to Medicaid recipients prior to the end of services because of a lack of funding.

Clarion Ledger
5/4/13