Qualifying Period opens in Mississippi
The qualifying period for state elected offices is now open in Mississippi. The following offices are open for election in 2015:
• Statewide Elected Officials
• State Senators and Representatives
• Transportation and Public Service Commissioners
• District Attorneys
• County Offices: Sheriff, Chancery Clerk, Circuit Clerk, Tax Assessor, Tax Collector, Coroner, Superintendent of Education, County Attorney, Surveyor
• County District Offices: Supervisors, Justice Court Judges, Constables
The qualifying period began January 1, 2015 and ends at 5:00 pm on February 27, 2015.
“Serving the citizens of the State of Mississippi is not a decision to be taken lightly,” says Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann. “I encourage potential candidates to review the guidelines and requirements before submitting qualifying papers for public office.”
Partisan candidates submit qualifying papers with their respective political parties for statewide, legislative and state district offices. Only independent candidates for statewide, legislative and state district offices submit qualifying papers to the Secretary of State’s Office.
Both partisan and independent candidates for county or county district offices file qualifying papers with their respective Circuit Clerk.
For all rules and requirements for qualifying for elective office, please review the 2015 Candidate Qualifying Guide: http://www.sos.ms.gov/Elections-Voting/Documents/2015%20Candidate%20Qualifying%20Guide.pdf
SOS Delbert Hosemann