The Clarion-Ledger, 2/17/9

The trial of Mayor Frank Melton and his former police bodyguard Michael Recio is set to resume this morning after a four-day break.

Jurors heard the case against the men from federal prosecutors last week. The defense attorneys now will begin presenting their cases.

Melton’s attorney, John Reeves, is expected present his opening statement first. Cynthia Stewart, Recio’s attorney, has said she is preparing to begin presenting her case on Wednesday.

The jury could issue a verdict by the end of the week.

Melton, 59, and Recio, 39, face federal civil rights charges related to a police-style raid on a Jackson duplex in 2006. Melton later said the Ridgeway Street building was a “crack house.”