Cochran Ad Belies His Very Liberal Record
In his latest ad, 35-year incumbent Senator Thad Cochran claims to be a conservative, but this record tells a very different story.
“Sadly, Sen. Cochran’s record over his 41 years in Washington demonstrate that his voting record is out of step with Mississippi Republicans,” said McDaniel spokesman Noel Fritsch. “From taxpayer-funding for abortions, to funding Obamacare, to gun control, to bailing out Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, Sen. Cochran has supported a smorgasbord of liberal policies.”
CLAIM: Sen. Cochran claims he is a pro-gun.
FACT: Sen. Cochran has a mixed record on guns, voting for burdensome gun control legislation.
• Sen. Cochran voted for the Sen. Joe Biden’s 1991 gun control legislation (S. 1241) that imposed waiting periods and banned certain types of guns. (RC #125, 07/11/91)
• Sen. Cochran voted for an amendment by Barbara Boxer prohibiting the sale or transfer of handguns by a licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer unless a secure gun storage or safety device is provided for each handgun. (RC #17, 02/26/04)
CLAIM: Sen. Cochran claims he is a strong opponent of Obamacare
FACT: Sen. Cochran voted to fund Obamacare several times.
• Sen. Cochran voted for the $1.054 trillion FY 2012 omnibus bill, which funded Obamacare. (RC #235, 12/17/11)
• Sen. Cochran voted for HR 93 that included appropriations for Obamacare. (RC # 44, 03/20/13)
• Sen. Cochran refused to stand with Sen. Ted Cruz in his fight to defund Obamacare and voted for the bill to fund Obamacare (RC #219, 10/16/13)
CLAIM: Sen. Cochran claims he has a 100 percent pro-life voting record.
FACT: The truth is Sen. Cochran has scored well below 100 percent on the National Right to Life Committee scorecard several times over his 41-year political career and has voted for pro-choice legislation.
• In the 105th Congress, Sen. Cochran received a 93 percent.
• In the 107th Congress, Sen. Cochran received a 33 percent.
• In the 109th Congress, Sen. Cochran received a 75 percent.
• In the 110th Congress, Sen. Cochran received a 85 percent.
• Sen. Cochran voted for taxpayer funding for abortion (HR 3512, RC #134, 05/21/81).
• Sen. Cochran voted to allow health care providers in taxpayer financed facilities to refer pregnant women to providers who perform abortions (RC # 128, 07/16/91).
• Sen. Cochran voted for federal funds for embryonic stem cell research (RC #206, 07/18/06) (RC #127, 04/11/07).
• Sen. Cochran voted against parental notification for abortion (RC #71, 03/13/08).
Chris McDaniel Press Release