Spurrier plans to return to Gamecocks next season

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Steve Spurrier says he’ll be back in the middle of South Carolina’s playcalling and back on the Gamecocks’ sidelines next season.
Spurrier said Tuesday that he’ll increase his playing calling role down the stretch and won’t let the potential of another frustrating finish — the Gamecocks (6-4, 3-4 Southeastern Conference) have lost two straight with No. 1 Florida and No. 23 Clemson left — lead him to leave the Gamecocks after the season.
“Obviously, the president and the AD and all that decides on who coaches,” Spurrier said. “But hopefully we’ve got some guys that are really going to help us on the way. We have a good coaching staff here and so forth.
“Again, I hope and plan to go three or four more years,” said Spurrier, 64. “We’ll see what happens.”
What’s guaranteed is Spurrier will be more emphatic in getting the play he wants on the field after last week’s 33-16 loss at Arkansas.
Spurrier had mostly ceded weekly gameplanning duties to son, Steve Jr., the past two years, but has maintained veto power if he didn’t like the call. At least twice this season, Spurrier said the Gamecocks were too conservative on offense at times, including after the Razorbacks defeat.

SI.com
11/11/9