White House vows to keep clunkers program running

The White House is working with U.S. lawmakers looking for ways to extend the “cash for clunkers” incentive program to spur U.S. auto sales, spokesman Robert Gibbs said on Friday.

“We feel confident we can find a solution” to continue the program, Gibbs told reporters, saying the incentive scheme had been a success for auto buyers and was still “up and running.”

The program was expected to run through Sept. 30 but sources had said the administration planned to suspend it shortly after it approached its funding limit.

“Cash for clunkers” authorized up to $4,500 in rebates for car buyers who traded in their gas guzzlers for more fuel-efficient vehicles. The program had been expected to run through Sept. 30.

Rueters
7/31/9