Wicker, Cochran, Palazzo Announce $1.26 Million Debris Removal Grant for Petal
FEMA Award Associated to January Disaster Declaration for the Miss. Pine Belt
WASHINGTON – U.S. Senators Roger Wicker, R-Miss., and Thad Cochran, R-Miss., and Congressman Steven Palazzo today announced a $1.26 million grant to the City of Petal to offset debris removal costs following severe storm damage in January.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) awarded the Public Assistance grant in association with a federal disaster declaration for four Pine Belt counties that experienced fatalities and extensive storm damage on Jan. 20 and 21.
“Mississippi’s Pine Belt suffered severe storm damage in January, and this FEMA funding will help expedite the area’s recovery,” Wicker said. “I am pleased that the grant will bring some relief to Petal and enable Mayor Hal Marx to facilitate a fresh start for the community following significant damage.”
“This Federal Emergency Management Agency grant will help support the City of Petal with storm recovery. This funding should ease the financial burden placed on the city because of the deadly January storms,” Cochran said.
“I’ve been to the City of Petal to survey damage several times since the tornadoes devastated the areas in January. The amount of damage these storms left behind was unfathomable and this grant will be of great assistance as they continue working to restore their communities and fully recovery from this disaster,” Palazzo said.
The FEMA grant represents an 85 percent share of the total $1.49 million grant for debris removal operations, with state and local resources required to meet the remaining 15 percent cost-share.
Wicker, Cochran, and Palazzo, along with the rest of the congressional delegation, endorsed Governor Phil Bryant’s request for a federal disaster declaration after severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds, and flooding hit Forrest, Lamar, Lauderdale and Perry counties earlier this year. President Trump approved the declaration on Jan. 25.